Auburn, Maine, may not be as well-known for its food scene as some other cities in the state, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have its fair share of hidden gem restaurants. From diners to pizza places and brewpubs, there are plenty of off-the-beaten-path eateries to discover in town. Here are the best hidden gem restaurants in Auburn, Maine.
- Rolly’s Diner Tucked away on a side street, Rolly’s Diner may be small and unassuming, but it’s a beloved institution among locals. The diner has been serving up classic breakfast and lunch dishes for over 35 years, and its retro decor and friendly service make it a charming spot for a meal. Try the corned beef hash, biscuits and gravy, or blueberry pancakes for a taste of Maine comfort food.
- Mac’s Grill For a more upscale dining experience, head to Mac’s Grill. The restaurant, located in a shopping plaza, doesn’t look like much from the outside, but the interior is sleek and modern. The menu features a variety of American dishes, including steaks, seafood, and burgers, as well as an extensive wine list. The bar area is also a popular spot for drinks and appetizers.
- Gritty McDuff’s – Auburn Beer lovers won’t want to miss Gritty McDuff’s in Auburn. The brewpub offers a variety of house-made beers, including its signature Best Bitter, as well as pub food like burgers, sandwiches, and fish and chips. The rustic atmosphere and friendly staff make it a great spot for a casual night out.
- George’s Pizza If you’re in the mood for pizza, head to George’s Pizza. The restaurant, located in a strip mall, may not look like much, but its pizza is a hidden gem. The crust is thin and crispy, and the toppings are always fresh. The menu also features subs, salads, and Italian dishes like chicken Parmesan and lasagna.
- 84 court St Pizza and Restaurante Another great option for pizza in Auburn is 84 Court St Pizza and Restaurante. The restaurant offers a variety of specialty pizzas, as well as calzones, stromboli, and pasta dishes. The atmosphere is casual and family-friendly, with a large dining room and friendly service.
In conclusion, Auburn, Maine, may not be a foodie destination, but it has plenty of hidden gem restaurants to discover. From classic diners like Rolly’s Diner to upscale eateries like Mac’s Grill, and pizza places like George’s Pizza and 84 Court St Pizza and Restaurante, there’s something for everyone. So the next time you’re in town, be sure to check out these off-the-beaten-path restaurants for a taste of local flavor.